Wednesday, February 9, 2011

…In the Ghetto…

So Matt wanted to go play catch down at this park that we go and play at sometimes. The park is by these old train tracks that I do not think are even used anymore and it is kind of where the sketchy houses are. They used to have an elementary school right there but its gone now.

Anyway, he said we were going down to “our park.” I was being a little grumpy though and asked why he called it our park when we had only been there like 3 times. I almost told him that he better not propose there but I decided not to. haha. Good thing.

We drove down there and started to play. Matt kept throwing it over my head (which was annoying but he always does that. I always tell him that there are advantages of being the coach now—I am the one who makes other people run). I thought that Matt was going to run up behind me and drop to a knee so I would hurry and grab it and turn around so he couldn't do that. (I know...rude!) Matt was definitely acting suspicious though because he kept looking around and kept looking past me. So, naturally, I was looking around too trying to figure out who was there. He also kept sticking his hand in his pocket which was weird. I asked him if his fingers were cold to which he responded, "Noooo." He stopped after that. By this point i was at 80% that he was going to propose.

There was a mound in the field and finally Matt came over and told me that he got me flowers. I knew for sure then. He took me over to where he had set up his stuff which included some flower, glass cups with a jug of chocolate milk and more. The blue book in the pictures was an album of notes and pictures that I gave him. He added a poem at the end.

The poem said,

"I can't number the ways I love you,
because I love you all around.
and the way I feel about you,
has brought me to the ground."

Then he told me I could stand up if I wanted to. He was kneeling on both knees. I asked if he was proposing to which he said yes. I stood up but felt awkward so I sat back down on the ground and he asked me to marry him. I said yes after a moment and yes I did tear up. We sat together for a bit and then I took him to class. :)


IMG_6624IMG_6625IMG_6628

The chocolate milk and accessories.

IMG_6629IMG_6630

"Family pictures."

IMG_6631IMG_6634IMG_6636

I picked out the ring last semester when my mother wanted to get her ring cleaned. I played with a couple and used these two. The guy at the store said he had never seen anything like it before so that made me happy. :)

IMG_6639IMG_6640IMG_6643

So happy.

IMG_6648IMG_6650

Just a bit of our story.

Matt got off his mission in December 2009. He was from Redmond, Washington, about 30 minutes north of me. We did not know each other there but we picked the same ward to live in, thanks to our older siblings.

He actually asked Chrissy out first at one of the ward speed-dating activity. They went out on a Saturday, February, 13th. On that Sunday, we found out that we were having a ward date, a pirate date, and I really wanted to go. My roommate had a crush on Matt and so I started to notice him too. I thought he was cute but just really wanted to go on the date. I asked him and his roommate Jon if they were going on the date. They said no so I told them that I really wished that I was going. I said a bunch of other things too so finally he asked me out. (He later told me that he thought I was dating this other guy.) We went on the date, Jon took Christina, and it was a little awkward. We did not really talk after that until about March, probably the end.

Matt's roommate was my partner for the trek that we were partly in charge of but the roommate was not really around so Matt was nice and helped me out a lot. (His friend Ryan helped out too but not quite as much). Matt and I held hands for the first time on our trek on the 21st of May (for like not even 10 seconds), and then he asked me out at Costco on the 29th.

(Background on Costco--Matt's dad works for Costco. They are really big fans and I always tease them about Sams). He told me he was going to propose there but I told him no way.

Anyway, we have been dating for 8 months and will be getting married on the 29th of April. :)

9 comments:

Koko said...

Thank you so much for writing about this...it was a little hard to piece it together between all the calls,texts, interruptions, etc. I am so, so happy for you guys and we all love Matt and will be so happy to have him forever in our family!

Koko said...

why the title?

Jennifer said...

What a lovely post! Congrats... The 2 of you are perfect together!

PS... I agree, Costco is WAY better than Sam's!

marciw60 said...

This was so nice! I loved reading about how he didit. That sounded perfect! WE are all excited for you guys, it is about time! ha ha! Now your mom can start planning finally! You are such an adorable couple and will have a wonderful life together. By the way, I understand the title, even though your poor mother doesnt! haha! Love you guys!

CK Morgan said...

ummm...only you would start noticing a guy because your roomate had a crush on him. haha.

-Kate- said...

YOU'RE ENGAGED!YOU'RE ENGAGED!YOU'RE ENGAGED!YOU'RE ENGAGED!YOU'RE ENGAGED! I'm so happy for you!!!! YAYA!!!!!!!

EmmaJaimeLeBlanc said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you two! marriage is awesome!

MeganJohnson009 said...

LOVE IT!! How exciting! :)

Belle said...

So excited for you and Matt!!! Yeah!!!! longtime Hoffman family friend, elizabeth bradshaw/vakalala